Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Indicium: Spearhead Rules for 40k Now Online


PDF rules for Spearhead are now available here. As an avowed non-subscriber of White Dwarf, I missed this expansion almost completely. I did snag some of the JPGs and downloadable content made available at the time but never actually got into the game.

So I am curious, what do people think about Spearhead? A day after I complain about the lack of hobby content, GW makes this available to all and for "free".

To me, the gesture is a good one, but the ruleset is a pretty blatant attempt to get folks to Buy More Stuff. I wouldn't have a problem with this if a) GW still sold those Apocalypse box sets and b) they had released the Spearhead PDF a month or so after the White Dwarf issue.

At this point, I think the Spearhead thing is gone and done with. I am not sure that most folks will even realize that the rules are available as PDF (hence this post) and that people will be unwilling to play with such a radically altered force organization. The latter is due to the tournament mentality (more on that in another post) but the former falls squarely on GW's slender shoulders.

I certainly don't mind the push to sell models. However, the way to do that is to produce more hobby content like Spearhead and make it available immediately online.

Thoughts?

No comments: